Thursday, November 19, 2009

Fishing

During my first year in college, one of my friends got very sick, hospital sick. I have a great many memories of her fight with meningitis, but the strongest image I recall is the below video. My friend was in intensive care for several days and so could not have someone sit with her in the room (until her mother arrived from Texas). We were allowed occasional, brief visits, however, and we were a bit too freaked out to leave the hospital, so we camped in the ICU waiting room, which was just down the hall from the unit.

It was a standard hospital waiting room: vinyl chairs, old musty couches, a coffee table, a hospital television mounted near the ceiling, worried people, fake plants. I recall sitting on the floor of that waiting room, sandwiched between the coffee table and couch, with my Latin homework spread before me and Sesame Street on the television. By fortuitous chance, the Sesame repeat gods must have known that I needed cheering because the Ernie and Bert segment that day was the following:


Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy!

No comments:

Post a Comment