Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Teeny Tiny's Travel Tuesdays: Rome








Sometimes, I get ahead of myself. I get all worked up about something and pull some stuff together, and before I know it, I have mixed up everything, and created a disaster of all of my carefully prepared plans. Today's post is an example of that phenomenon. You will see, when you read below, that I was supposed to publish this post last Tuesday. Instead, I forgot to do so and published pictures from the Vatican. It's not a terribly big catastrophe, but I'm forcing myself not to edit the contents of this missive to be consistent with the actual timeline. The risks to the space-time continuum aside, I wrote some things below that I wanted to share, so why should I make things all accurate and consistent by pretending that I didn't mix up the posting dates. I leave it to you to pretend that you read this thing last Tuesday, and that today you are enjoying pictures of the pope's house.






Teeny Tiny--and a good portion of my family--have expressed irritation that I have yet to share my pictures from my recent (ahem) trip to Italy. "It takes time to organize," I protest feebly in response, but I don't think they are assuaged by that excuse any longer. Luckily, Teeny Tiny has decided to take control of the situation and devote Teeny Tiny's Travel Tuesdays to his take on our Italian journey.





Last week's shot of Teeny Tiny in the Colosseum revealed that our trip began in Rome. Rome is a city of layers, and each layer is filled with unbelievable art and story. Teeny Tiny's favorite part of Rome was the place where those layers are revealed all at once, like one of those cutaway elevation maps: the Palatine Hill and the Roman Forum. Right next to the Colosseum are these archeological labyrinths where you can see Etruscan ruins under ancient Roman temples under classical Roman architecture under the remains of the medieval church.


Teeny Tiny loved this part of Rome because no one was looking. He was able to climb all through the old stone and marble without risking getting yelled at by museum officials or Swiss Guard. He did it for archeological purposes only; just don't tell anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment